Build Your Marine Industry Career - Check These Great Opportunities
Canada’s marine industry needs a growing number of young people to enter the business and for five years now, potential employers have posted excellent career opportunities in this column. If you know a bright young person who is looking for a solid and rewarding future, share this newsletter with them.
If you are an employer seeking help, Boating Industry Canada’s Newsweek electronic newsletter will run your ‘help wanted’ advertising at NO CHARGE as long as the ads are for marine industry employment in Canada. We do this as a service to the industry.
All we ask is that the wording of your advertisement be supplied in the format seen below:
1. Position available or job title
2. Location of work
3. Describe the type and scope of work
4. Minimum qualifications required and compensation offered
5. Contact information for candidates to respond
Mar 5, 2017
We can provide you with the training you need to become a Marine Technician!
Are you looking for a career in the recreational boating industry? Are you 16 years of age or older, a Canadian citizen or a landed immigrant, and not already registered as an apprentice?
This Boating Ontario Marine Technician Pre-Apprenticeship program may be for you!
It’s not a job, it’s a lifestyle! The recreational boating industry offers excellent opportunities to build a strong career in a great and fun work environment.
This FREE 35-week program offers academic upgrading in apprenticeship math, communications, shop skills and the in-school requirement for Level One Marine Engine Technicians. Students that successfully complete the academic portion of the program are required to complete a 12-week paid placement.
Applications are being accepted until April 10, 2017. To apply or for more information, visit www.BoatingOntario.ca or contact Cynthia Hodgson – Marketing Manager, Boating Ontario
This program is in partnership with Georgian College, Midland Campus and funded by the government of Ontario.
Dec 4, 2016
Position Available: Marine Service Technician
Location of work: Abbotsford BC
Description and Scope of Work:
Looking for an technician with a minimum of 5 years experience in the marine industry. Job includes outfitting boats for customers, routine maintenance and diagnostics on Yamaha, Mercury and Kodiak engines; American Turbine and Hamilton pumps. Class 5 driver's is a must, towing will be involved
River City Marine is the largest Thunder Jet dealer in Canada and the lower mainland's exclusive dealer. We specialize in aluminum boats. We strive to provide our customer's with the best service before and after the sale. We believe in having a fun and positive work environment and working together as a team. Looking for a long-term commitment where employees are able to grow in education and product knowledge. Wages based on experience.
Jan 5, 2017
Posting available: Captain – Boat Tour to Niagara Falls (in the Niagara Gorge)
Location of Work: Niagara Falls, Ontario
Description and scope of work:
Our Captains lead the daily operation of the vessel with a focus on safety, security and creating amazing guest experiences. During the shoulder season and outside of our operating season, the Captain may assist with maintenance and repair projects to vessels and facilities, and other special projects as directed. A flexible schedule is a must. Schedule includes evenings, weekends, holidays and some overtime.
· As the Master in command of the vessel, safely operates the vessel with due regard for the Hornblower Niagara Cruises (HNC) Safety Management System (SMS) and ISO Respect Management System, the Vessel Security Plan, proper Standards of Watch keeping and in accordance with the practice of good seamanship
· Acts as a role model; directly supervises the Mate, Deckhands, and other crew members
· Coaches and teaches crew members to assist them in their professional development
· Routinely inspects all areas of the vessel for unsafe conditions, performs accident investigations, files accident investigation reports and makes safety announcements to ensure the safety and comfort of the crew and passengers
· Routinely conducts and records emergency drills
· Maintains vessel operations and maintenance logs
· Leads daily training talks set forth by the ISO, Safety Management System and Vessel Security Plan
· Ensures that every person who is employed in a position onboard has the required Canadian maritime documents
· Master 150 Gross Tonnage, Domestic
· Small Vessel Machinery Operator (Training provided)
· Current Marine Advanced First Aid
· Current (within previous two (2) years) Transport Canada approved medical
· Minimum five (5) years of commercial boat handling experience required
· Customer service experience an asset
· Knowledge of a foreign language is helpful
· Post-Secondary education preferred
· Familiarity with Microsoft Office an asset
· Ship Security Officer Certificate an asset
· Current Ontario Driver’s license and satisfactory driving record an asset
· The ability to successfully complete a criminal background check
· Competitive compensation and benefits package
· Contract employment