Build Your Marine Industry Career - Check These Great Opportunities
Canada’s marine industry needs a growing number of young people to enter the business and for five years now, potential employers have posted excellent career opportunities in this column. If you know a bright young person who is looking for a solid and rewarding future, share this newsletter with them.
If you are an employer seeking help, Boating Industry Canada’s Newsweek electronic newsletter will run your ‘help wanted’ advertising at NO CHARGE as long as the ads are for marine industry employment in Canada. We do this as a service to the industry.
All we ask is that the wording of your advertisement be supplied in the format seen below:
1. Position available or job title
2. Location of work
3. Describe the type and scope of work
4. Minimum qualifications required and compensation offered
5. Contact information for candidates to respond
Apr 27, 2017
Position available: Product and Brand Manager – Marine
Caframo is a Canadian manufacturer with an international presence. A world leader in marine, thermoelectric and other niche markets. Located in the Wiarton/Owen Sound Area, Caframo has been in operation since 1955. Our corporate offices and production plant are situated on the picturesque shores of Georgian Bay, 30 minutes from the city of Owen Sound and only 3 hours from the GTA. View the calming waters of Georgian Bay every day as you come to work and spend your off hours on the many walking and ski trails throughout the region. Living in the Owen Sound or Wiarton area, you are close to the outdoors, in an active arts community and in a great place to raise kids
Caframo has an opportunity within the Marketing team for a Product and Brand Manager. You’ll work hard in a collaborative, cross-functional team, with your primary focus on our aftermarket Marine products. At different times you may be involved with all our consumer products.
For the ideal candidate, an avid boater and marketer, this will be your dream job. You’ve cooked in a galley, slept in a V-berth, and raised an anchor anywhere from Vancouver to the Virgin Islands. Now you can help other boaters around the world enjoy their favourite activity.
You’re energetic, creative and take a positive approach to your work; have a curiosity about consumer behavior and how products operate; an interest in acquiring knowledge in a wide variety of fields; and have the ability to quickly learn, absorb and apply large amounts of information.
Your work will encompass a wide range of responsibilities: Brand management, new product development, product management, end-user insights and support, end-user communications, trade partner/sales team support, and competitive analysis and response.
• Recommend new strategies for identifying and communicating with consumers.
• Conduct annual business analysis and report recommendations for future years’ growth opportunities.
• Develop product line communications, including all social media presence, online and print communications, and creative copy.
• Conduct research and monitor consumer activities to identify key target markets, track core measures, capture user insights and identify trends, and find opportunities for growth and market threats.
• Develop trade marketing and trade support materials with the sales team.
• Lead packaging development; from identifying key messages to briefing creative agency, through product photography, revisions, and proofs.
• Participate in the product development process to provide market assessments, customer insights, price modeling, and other marketing and research support.
• Analyze forecasts and business activities to monitor success and recommend revisions to ensure sales and profitability objectives are met.
• Design and deliver digital marketing campaigns including Facebook, Google, and Amazon
• Support the sales team by attending and working tradeshows, as needed.
• Degree in Marketing, Commerce/Business, Engineering or a related field of study. MBA preferred.
• At least five (5) years’ experience in a similar or related role.
• Able to travel internationally and up to 40 days per year.
• Exceptional written communication skills, including spelling and grammar.
• Excellent mathematics skills, including an understanding of statistical analysis
• Must be able to handle multiple projects at once that require different skill sets from creative to analysis to wordsmithing to strategic planning and beyond
• Excellent project planning and workload management
• A passion for boating
• Software: Microsoft Outlook, Word, Excel, PowerPoint
• Digital marketing experience
Other – Desired Skills
• Software: Visio, Adobe Illustrator, InDesign, TeamWork, Wrike, WordPress
• Experience with the Stage-Gate or similar process
• Advanced digital marketing, web site design
• Proficiency in French language, an asset
• Salary based on qualifications and experience
• Bonus program offered
• Full group benefits package
• Training and education support opportunities
Applications should be submitted by May 2, 2017.
Applicants must be eligible to work in Canada. We thank all applicants; however, only those shortlisted will be contacted for an interview. No phone calls please. All applications will be treated as confidential and will be used for recruitment purposes only. Caframo is an equal opportunity employer.
In compliance with AODA, Caframo, upon request, will provide reasonable accommodation during the recruitment process. If you are selected for an interview and require accommodation due to a disability, please notify us when we contact you.
Apr 27, 2017
Position available: Marine Service Technician Apprentice
Greater Toronto Area (Whitby – Toronto – Hamilton)
TYS Office: Toronto Outer Harbour Marina, 475 Unwin Avenue, Toronto, ON
TYS requires an apprentice to assist our Senior Marine Service Technicians. Marine Service Technicians inspect, maintain, and repair boats of all kinds. Using diagnostic equipment, they test and repair boat engines, hulls, propellers, rigging, masts, sails, and navigational equipment. They also install and test sanitation and refrigeration systems, cabinetry, electronics, electrical systems, steering gear, and accessories.
• Perform maintenance/repairs on gas and diesel engines
• Perform maintenance/repairs on AC/DC on board electrical systems
• Perform maintenance/repairs on board domestic systems.
• Installation of Raymarine navigation electronic equipment
• Ability to thrive in a fast-paced environment; demonstrate a strong sense of flexibility; self-motivated, able to work effectively under pressure; ability to prioritize and meet tight deadlines
• Other duties as required.
• Have attended a Marine Engine Technician Training Program (offered by Canadore College, Georgian College or Sault College)
• Be a Canadian citizen, permanent resident or person to whom refugee protection has been conferred under the Immigration and Refugee Protection Act
• Be legally entitled to work in Canada in accordance with relevant provincial/territorial legislation and regulations
• Have a valid (class G) Ontario driver’s license (clean driving record)
- Industry certification (Volvo Penta, Mercruiser, Raymarine, ABYC)
- Experience with gas (EFI) and diesel engines
- Experience with AC/DC on board electrical systems
- Experience with on board domestic (plumbing and HVAC) systems
- Experience operating power and/or sailing vessels
- Good communication skills
- Professional attitude and appearance
- Standard computer skills
- Self starter/desire to learn
- Ability to work independently
$15-17/hour depending on qualifications and experience
4% vacation pay included each payroll period
3 paid sick days
Industry/certification training as required
Smart phone allowance
Phone: 416-886-9992 Fax:1-866-812-6785
Apr 21, 2017
Position available: Special Markets Coordinator
Department Sales Marketing
To develop growth and support all Yamaha special markets sales objectives for both Marine and Motorsports. Focusing on marine product lines including OEM, government and commercial acting as the key YMCA liaison for all market segments.
Key Duties and Responsibilities:
Working with Special Market Representative, coordinates weekly communication with all Yamaha marine OEM partners for unit forecast, sales activities, market promotions, new business opportunities and maintain YMCA database. (25%)
Monitor and process bidding opportunities on Federal and Provincial levels. Coordinate all aspects of YMCA government unit sales activities with focus on Standing Offer and act as the liaison with other YMCA departments for internal processing. (15%)
Working with Boats Area Sales Managers, manage all aspects of Yamaha sport boat order and billing systems for field staff, factory and dealers. (20%)
•Process all special market unit orders, maintain database and provide separate monthly reports for both OEM and (B2B) Special Markets activities and sales trends. Ensure units are billed and paid off within set time periods. (40%)
•Maintain all necessary computer and paper records including dealer objectives, booking orders, product allocation, backorders, order summary, and return/reinvoicing systems.
•Ensure compliance with published programs when processing orders. Acquire necessary approvals for variances and upsell to gain maximum benefit for dealers.
Degree/Diploma-Post-secondary degree or business diploma
Program of Study-Sales Administration
Years of Experience-1 - 5 years
Type of Experience-Marine industry sales & marketing related field
Skills and Abilities
• Excellent oral and written communication skills (bilingual, French & English)
• Ability to provide customer service in a courteous manner
• Strong working knowledge of Microsoft Office Suite and advanced skills in Excel is required
• The ability to problem-solving and have strong analytical skills to interpret sales performance and market trend information
• Excellent organization, planning skills and time management
• Attention to details and a high level of accuracy is a must
• Must be self-motivated and comfortable working independently
Yamaha Motor Canada Ltd. welcomes and encourages applications from people with disabilities. Accommodations are available on request for candidates taking part in all aspects of the selection process.
Position available: General Manager
MARINE MART INC.
The General Manager is completely responsible for and will be held accountable for the successful operation of the entire retail store. She/He will develop and execute plans to ensure that sales return a reasonable profit and a good return of investments.
The General Manager will accomplish all objectives through planning, motivating and coordinating the activities of all stores.
Minimum of 5 years experience in a management role of retail sales and marine accessories industry
- Excellent communication skills (oral and written)
- Mush have a proven track record demonstrating quantifiable and verifiable results
- Able to demonstrate the optimal use of human, financial and material resources of the company
- A university education is an important asset
The successful candidate has a flawless presentation, excellent people skills and a personality enabling her/him to quickly build relationships with a high-end clientele. She/he demonstrate leadership and expertise in effective management of inventories and budgets. The person knows to recruit, retain and motivate sales and service professionals, enabling he achievement of set objectives.
- Compensation exceeding market standards
- Performance bonuses among the most generous in the industry
- Full benefits program
- Many training and development opportunities
Mar 31, 2017
Position available: Sales and Client Relationship Manager
Location: Muskoka Lakes Marine – Rosseau, ON
This position will be responsible for but not limited to:
Our Marina has great clients who want great service. Your highest priority will require you to develop a thorough knowledge of our clients and ensure we are providing them with professional and diversified set of services to ensure they have a stress free experience on the lake.
Sales and Marketing
Knowledge of our clients allows us to understand what they need. The successful candidate will be responsible for client relationship management, marketing and sales programs required to grow our existing lines and sales of new boats and marine products. You will be challenged to explore and develop new lines of services, products and areas of business that ensure our business is growing, interesting and competitive.
Staff Hiring and Training
This position will be responsible for working with the ownership team to ensure the Marina has the right sales team with the requisite training to ensure we maximize sales, promote and provide excellent services for our clients and expand our product lines.
Business Planning/Strategic Planning
You will be a key member on the management team in developing and monitoring the annual business plan, setting sales goals and operating budgets and monitoring progress throughout the year. You will work with the ownership team to help develop strategies for new services that our Marina can offer our clients in the future.
We are looking for an energetic candidate who is hard working with excellent communication and people skills. Interested candidates should identify relevant college, university, business or marine related experience that would be utilized to succeed in this role.
Mar 30, 2017
Position available: Controller
Location: Georges Marine & Sports, Eastern Ontario
• Manage all financial and accounting operations and maintain accounting policies and procedures
• Oversee the accounting operations including control systems and transaction processing operations
• Coordinate the preparation of the budget and financial forecast, cash flow and report variances
• Prepare monthly financial statements and regulatory reporting
• Manage the month-end and year-end close process
• Comply with government reporting requirements and tax filings
• Interface with outside audit firms, banks and lessors, casualty/liability insurance agents, credit card companies etc.
• Develop business processes to maintain and strengthen internal controls
• Calculate and issue financial and operating metrics
• Provide financial analyses as needed and recommend benchmarks to measure the performance of operations
• Monitor debt levels
• Control and operation of staff payroll
• Control and overseeing of management/accounting software
• All other duties as assigned
• 5+ years of experience with a degree in Accounting or Business Administration
• CPA or CMA designation preferred
• Knowledge of accounting principles and procedures and experience creating financial statements
• Strong team management
• Familiar with dealership management software
The ideal candidate would live in reasonable proximity to the Marina.
This is a salaried full-time position located on Lake Rosseau in the Muskoka Lakes region.
Apr 25, 2017
Position available: Marine Technician
Location: Hamilton, Ontario
Work Details: includes servicing, routine maintenance, diagnostics, and repairs to Yamaha, Mercury, Honda and Evinrude Outboards, Waverunner personal watercraft, Mercruiser Stern Drives
Candidate should be a College graduate with a Marine Technician diploma, have basic skills and be willing to learn
Bay City Marine is a multi-brand dealership, specializing in Lund fishing boats. Our goal is to provide our customers with a positive boating experience.
Jan 5, 2017
Posting available: Captain – Boat Tour to Niagara Falls (in the Niagara Gorge)
Location of Work: Niagara Falls, Ontario
Description and scope of work:
Our Captains lead the daily operation of the vessel with a focus on safety, security and creating amazing guest experiences. During the shoulder season and outside of our operating season, the Captain may assist with maintenance and repair projects to vessels and facilities, and other special projects as directed. A flexible schedule is a must. Schedule includes evenings, weekends, holidays and some overtime.
· As the Master in command of the vessel, safely operates the vessel with due regard for the Hornblower Niagara Cruises (HNC) Safety Management System (SMS) and ISO Respect Management System, the Vessel Security Plan, proper Standards of Watch keeping and in accordance with the practice of good seamanship
· Acts as a role model; directly supervises the Mate, Deckhands, and other crew members
· Coaches and teaches crew members to assist them in their professional development
· Routinely inspects all areas of the vessel for unsafe conditions, performs accident investigations, files accident investigation reports and makes safety announcements to ensure the safety and comfort of the crew and passengers
· Routinely conducts and records emergency drills
· Maintains vessel operations and maintenance logs
· Leads daily training talks set forth by the ISO, Safety Management System and Vessel Security Plan
· Ensures that every person who is employed in a position onboard has the required Canadian maritime documents
· Master 150 Gross Tonnage, Domestic
· Small Vessel Machinery Operator (Training provided)
· Current Marine Advanced First Aid
· Current (within previous two (2) years) Transport Canada approved medical
· Minimum five (5) years of commercial boat handling experience required
· Customer service experience an asset
· Knowledge of a foreign language is helpful
· Post-Secondary education preferred
· Familiarity with Microsoft Office an asset
· Ship Security Officer Certificate an asset
· Current Ontario Driver’s license and satisfactory driving record an asset
· The ability to successfully complete a criminal background check
· Competitive compensation and benefits package
· Contract employment